My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

stories - i have plenty* bad dates - been on enough of them* sharing stories of my bad dates - priceless

Thursday, June 30, 2005

What happened to Black Love?



I remember when I was little, everybody in my immediate family had those velvet pictures of Black people kissing hanging in the living rooms. When velvet went out of style, so did those pictures but I have noticed that Black Love is also out of style. Nowadays Black women and men ain't got nothing nice to say about each other. Today I am declaring a war on the disintegration of the Black couple. The problem is most of the young people today do not have strong relationship models. As a child, I remember celebrating my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. Today folks are happy if they make it past the 5 yr mark. Can you think of anyone in your family that has been married for over 20 years? If you do, go to that person and ask how they did it. Make an effort to learn what it takes to maintain a relationship instead of running at the first sign of difficulty. I know that women have evolved and are more independent than those of the past, but that doesn't mean that you can't learn from those women.
I can hear y'all now.
"They still together 'cause she put up with stuff that I just will not tolerate."
"They stuff she did is ancient history, I am not fitna be some little housewife."
Again, stop talking and start listening. I never said be just like those women, but learn how they maintained their relationships. Take that information and make it work for you.
I know it seems that I am only focusing on women and I am not ganging up on you guys, but it is the Black GIRL's guide.
What inspired this topic? Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown. I was watching their new show "Being Bobby Brown" and as crazy as they looked, the bottom line was that they love each other. And it was very evident in the episodes I saw. Yes, there was plenty of drama with the jail time and court cases, but she stood by him. The thing that was so obvious to me was that they genuinely enjoyed each others company. They have a good time together and love the kids. So from this day forward, I will not say bad things about Bobby and Whitney. What I learned is that they have something that plenty of us don't, TRUE LOVE. Crazy as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home